09 April 2011

All Children, Except One...

 

Sometimes I just want to run away.
I want to disappear – find some place new where I can meet new people and do new things. I want adventure. I want depth. 
I want to run away from responsibility and pretense. 


I have a lot of thoughts about a lot of things, but they’re all hazy and tangled up inside my head – I can’t figure them out. 

Why do we do the things we do? Is it because we want to or we should? Or is it out of habit – because we are used to it and haven’t thought about doing something different?
Do we actually value what we do, or do we just do it because we are expected to? 

When should we go along with expectations and when can we do what we really want? When should we stick with things and when can we drop them because they aren’t important? 

I truly don’t want to grow up. I don’t want to be responsible. I don’t want to spend my time doing things because society says I need to. I feel like growing up will suck out my soul and turn me into a dried up bit of practically nothing. Growing up means doing everything you don’t like and nothing you do. 

I am increasingly jealous of Peter Pan.

I think that, instead of a princess, I would really love to be Wendy Darling.
Or maybe Peter Pan. Oh, the cleverness of me! 

Love, 
Scout

1 comment:

Yo' Broder said...

I think it's more like that saying, "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

Keep that "youthful" perspective and you'll be just fine. :-)