19 July 2011

Today

Today was filled with wonderful things.
I got up bright and early (okay, that's not one of the wonderful things) and started making homemade, from scratch cinnamon buns! It took a long time because a) I had to wait until we could get one of the icing ingredients from the store, b) the dough rises a total of 1 1/2 hours, c) I'm easily distracted. But when they were finished, those suckers were huge and almost divine. It was liking eating heaven. Almost.

Second, my brother and sister in law are visiting. That in itself is a wonderful thing, but...they brought me records! Their church had a garage sale recently and my brother called me early in the morning to find out if I wanted any. They were pretty much all random country albums (he lives in GA, after all), so I snagged a mix of classic country and a Doris Day Christmas album. What my brother didn't tell me, however, was that they also had a Johnny Cash record, which he surprised me with today! It's pretty perfect. I've been wanting a Johnny Cash album, but the ones I've seen have never had any songs I knew, and I much prefer buying albums that I can sing along to. The album he gave me has a bunch of the classics, so that was definitely a good surprise.

My brother then showed me this entertaining video. This one is also pretty funny. So is this one.


After dinner, my family watched Murder by Death, quite similar to the movie Clue, if you've seen it. It's a spoof of detectives and detective stories. They make fun of Dick Tracy, Hercule Poirot, Miss Marple, and a couple others I didn't recognize. They also made fun of Humphrey Bogart in Casablanca. It was clever, punny, and cheesy - a perfect combination! It featured Truman Capote, Peter Sellers, and Maggie Smith (Minerva McGonagall!).

Lastly, I've been listening to some Elvis. I just love Elvis.  I've only recently "discovered" him, so I don't know many of his songs yet, but I like these three songs because they're slow and soothing and lovely. I think Love Me Tender is my favorite slow song of his.
What were the highlights of your day?

Love,
Scout

No comments: