17 May 2012

Manual Setting - Black and White

I have a confession: I don't really like black and white photography. I mean, sometimes it's okay - especially when the contrast is really striking. Most of the time, though, I just think black and white photos are bland.

That being said, when I was going through my camera to see different things I could do, I stumbled upon the black and white option. Honestly, I was a little surprised to find that my camera had that option, but that was mostly because it never occurred to me to take black and white photos, so I never bothered looking for it. Anyway, I decided to mess around with it some, even though black and white photos aren't my favorite. Here's what I came up with.












I've decided that I kind of like taking black and white photographs, because I can play around with the exposure to make the photos look how I want, but...I still prefer color.

What's the best black and white photograph you've ever taken or seen? This is one of my absolute favorites, found on this website.

Love,
Scout

6 comments:

Andrea Manz said...

I think black and white photos of nature kind of defeat the purpose (pretty colors) except in the winter, then it can work pretty well. I like black and white for cities and urban type areas, sort of industrial. And think of famous black and white photos of, say, Marilyn Monroe or Audrey Hepburn. Pretty rad. I like the ones of the record and the typewriter you took :)

Scout said...

Oh yeah. Some of those Audrey ones are really good. I drew one of them :)

Meli said...

I really like the ones where the background fades out almost completely. These turned out really cool!!

Scout said...

Thanks, Meli :)

vvvv said...

hello! photographs great!
p.s

It's the paint black youtube adress you asked before
here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1zBG2TEjn4&feature=related

Scout said...

Thanks! This is such a great song. And it kind of fits with this post - "no colors anymore, I want it painted black" ;)