24 August 2012

New Camera Lens

I've been trying to study anything and everything I can find about photography - everything short of taking a class, that is - to help prepare myself for some upcoming projects. One of the things I really wanted to figure out was how to take better photos in low light. I decided to take the plunge and buy a new lens - one with a wider aperture range than my other lens.
Oh man, you guys. Best decision ever. 


I'm definitely on the poor side of the spectrum, so I was worried about spending unnecessary money, even though I knew it would be a good deal and a good investment in my future. I went to my local camera store to try it out. Here's why I decided to buy it - and what made me forget about any money it might cost.

This is with my old lens (18-55mm, f/5.6-22). I think I had it set on ISO 400, f-5.6, with a shutter speed of 60.

This is with the new lens (50mm f/1.8) - same settings.

BAM! I might have changed the aperture for the second picture, but...I can't remember, and even if I did, it's still way better quality than I could have gotten with my first lens.
I had to try really hard not to run and jump out of the store :)

Anyway, you guys can expect a lot more pictures from me for the next couple of weeks. I'm so excited!

Love,
Scout

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Good choice to go with a 50mm - I think it's definitely the most versatile focal length! If I'm going on a road trip, or just out for a walk, I'll grab a 50 and a 28. I can't wait to see all your new pictures!

(And man, your hair is getting so long! I love the bang.)

Scout said...

We're going to a craft fest type deal later today, so I'm super excited to be able to use my new lens there :)
Also, thanks! I love the bangs, too. They're my favorite.

Lindsay Eryn said...

Congratulations!!!

Scout said...

Thanks! I'm super excited :)